Skip to main content

Dependence,Independence





Just like the year gone by,I sat down again staring at this blank white space which always makes me jot down all that I ponder...I witnessed yet another 14th of August..yet another day of jubilation, girls dressed in green, boys eagerly blowing vuvuzelas...people swaying to our evergreen mili nagamey... fighter jets hovering around our heads doing the fly past coloring the sky green and white...but even today,amidst all this festivity...I felt hollow... 

I wanted my two year old to learn that it was Pakistan's birthday today (which learnt pretty easily), I was trying to muster all my pride and transfer the same to her by showing how amazing we as a nation are, but I kept questioning myself if we really are that great.....

We are the people who saw news of the Quetta attack just days before the 14th of August, we are the ones who heard about the valor of the Major who embraced martyrdom while tracing terrorists in Malakand, we are the same nation who witnessed the attack at Arfa towers in Lahore roughly 15 days ago...can such people in their sane minds ever smile and dance for being independent?.trust  me we are far from being independent....

 I believe that we have forgotten and unlearned our basic instinct of being human...we have stopped caring about our blood...all we care about is a day off,some family time and yes Azadi sales that  these avid marketers keep pushing towards us. Today, when I saw Margalla road flooded with cars, I kept asking myself this very question, " Where were all these people when we lost 15 soldiers in Quetta, where were they when my Jawans were fighting in the mountains of Malakand.? or when a busy office building in Lahore was put under attack

We were programmed by God to sense both the good and the bad..then where has that instinct gone?..shouldn't we flood our roads to at least pay an ode to the people who lay down their lives for us?..I believe their sacrifices weren't meant to be mere editions to our history books...

This day lets resolute...that we will try caring more...get that human instinct back forget about the fireworks and the bhangras .... we are a nation that's under attack by both internal and external forces..all this festivity can wait....for now there is simple no reason to be festive about...

  • fragmented politics , 
  • dying soldiers , 
  • sold out , polarised , confused media , non performing government ,
  • hands off bureaucracy , insecure police , 
  • struggling honest , smug liars ... 
What more do we need to open our eyes..awaken us from our slumber?!


P.S.The Chinese Vice prime and Chinese flags along side my green and white has left a bad after taste to this festivity..all hail to our Corrupt Leaders and Us, the naive followers!!

This is what I need on this day to ease my nerves....Winds of Change-The Scorpians

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rendezvous with Ayeza Sumsam Mohiuddin (Brand Manager,Skin Health Care Category)

My meet-cute with Ayeza was out of any professional and academic settings, we met at a mutual relative's place and instantly clicked. She was a year younger than me and yet her take on life inspired me at that point in time too. We then lost touch of each other only to meet again at IBA, where we used to pass occasional glances and smiles as we both were too occupied to make a decent conversation. Today, when I searched among my Facebook friends for an inspirational marketer, Ayeza's named popped in my mind and on my screen almost immediately,I reached out to her, not expecting her to message so promptly as I knew she is a busy young lady. But, this bright person made me awe struck once again, by the very manner in whichshe welcomed the idea of "The Placement Office", I could feel her giddy with excitement as she answered all my questions pain painstakingly detailing as much as possible.  I hope our conversation with Ayeza today, can inspire hundreds and tho

Fields of Gold

I was standing in my kitchen admiring the lush  greens that Islamabad offered me after a short spell of rain...the soothing scent of the first few water droplets hitting the dry barren earth was like magic to my nostrils.....lost in my reverie ...the rain and the weather somehow made me nostalgic, took me back to memories of 82.5. 82.5 was my room at Warwick...the one place where I want to go back to again and again..the one place that set me free from the confines of my own personality...gave me a chance to explore...to create memories that I can always look back to...I still remember my first trip to my room..one of the most hectic journeys for me. I was accompanied by my dad that day, back then we were both new to the English weather..had just left all our family exactly two weeks ago to shift to a land where it never stopped raining! (hailing from Karachi,this seemed like an abnormality to me).  The killing walks Anyways as you can very well imagine we both weren'

Learning,to Unlearn

I was lazily surfing my newsfeed when this video caught my attention  study session  this video shows a mother is force teaching her daughter..people are m a making all kinds of comments on it..some even have the audacity to find the video "cute" and entertaining!! The sight of that child wailing and crying and trying to remember simple counting brought back memories flooding back to my mind of a friend who had to go through to the same ordeal. I was among the cool kids who would spend a good one hour at a task and there you go.it used to be etched in my memory, when teachers would ask  us about the task we would raise our hands up  high to answer the question and get some brownie points...but there in the corner would be my buddy...the uncool one. The one who would sink in the back benches to escape the wrath of the teacher who would miss no chance to sham that poor kid in-front of twenty others just because to her things didn't come as easy as they did to us.